The Pere Marquette Railway Belding Depot was part of a more extensive rail network that began in Northern Michigan in 1889. This rail system was constructed to connect commercial routes through the state of Ohio, Indiana, and Ontario, Canada with Michigan. The railway gets its name from early Michigan settler, Jacques Marquette (1637-1675). It operated until a merger re-established its operation under new ownership in 1947 (1).
The Belding Depot, served passengers faithfully from 1900 to 1941. It provided transportation for the citizenry to the neighboring town of Lowell and was an essential connection between Grand Rapids and Saginaw. The building was a simple structure that housed a centralized ticketing and telegraph office. After operations ceased, it remained vacant except for maintenance tools owned by the city. In 1994, the city of Belding took action to restore the building and it now serves as the city center for government meetings and a local transit hub. The Pere Marquette Railway Depot is a registered historic landmark and exists today to remind folks of the contributions it made to society and its aid to population growth and commerce for the state of Michigan. (2)
1. Wikipedia. 2013. “Pere Marquette Railway.” Last modified March 13. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pere_Marquette_Railway.;”Pere Marquette Depot Bay City Michigan.” http://www.peremarquettedepotbaycity.com/index.php/about-the-depot/history.html.
2. Michigan.gov. 2014.”Pere Marquette Railway Belding Depot.” http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/hso/sites/43973.htm; Michigan Markers. 2104.; “Pere Marquette Railway Belding Depot.” http://www.michmarkers.com/startup.asp?startpage=L2050.htm